One of my co-workers is about 5 or 6 months pregnant with her first child. She is a friend of mine an I've enjoyed watching the transformation about the past months. My friend is a newly wed so it's not a pregnancy that society would usually frown on. I was one to always view pregnant as beautiful. The other day I was shocked to realize there were people who very openly think otherwise. My friend works in the main office of where I work. I work on register. She came out to help bag for the customers. There was an older woman (but she was not OLD). Probably 40's. She kept looking at my friend with this almost disgusted look. My friend figured she was trying to decide whther she was pregnant or just big. My friend took it upon herself to assure her she was pregnant. She was not rude, infact she had a big smile on her face and sounded very proud. The customer grunted an sai, "Oh, that must be why you look so flabby."
We were shocked to say the least. My friend spent the rest of the day fluffing out her shirt an staring at her arms an stomach to make sure they looked okay. It bothered m that someone could say hat something so beautiful was something disturbing and something my friend should be embarrassed about.

1 comment:
hi there!
well, i think it's a trend in society that children are seen not as a gift but as a disturbing factor.
i think the old woman was absolutely stupid and absolutely out of touch with real life (and good manners bsides!) and your friend should take her not so serious - even if it's easier to say than do that ;)
cheers, Ingrid
Post a Comment