
Early in our educational careers we hear about this wonderful playwright and poet called William Shakespeare. In middle school you read a few sonnets and if your lucky you dive into one of his tragedies (complete with footnotes of course!). But you're never quiet prepared when senior year rolls around and it's like a Shakespeare bomb blew up in the hallways. This is even more true if you're in drama.
I never was a Shakespeare fanatic. I never understood what all the commotion was about. He was just a prematurely balding man that added too many unnecessary syllables onto words. This year, Billy threw himself upon me and forced me to indulge in his work...and like it. It is four months into the school year and in between two classes I have: read 5 Shakespearean sonnets, watched Twelfth Night, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Shakespeare in Love (not by him..I know) and seen a performance of Romeo and Juliet. I have a copy of Much Ado About Nothing that I will crack tomorrow for English and then we will proceed to read Hamlet, Macbeth, Twelfth night, and a few others.
Next week I have an audition for A Midsummer Night's Dream and if cast, I will be MEMORIZING Shakespeare. It's official; I can't escape him. It's obvious that Shakespeare and I are meant to be together...for this year at least.

No comments:
Post a Comment