Saturday, May 12, 2007

Green is the New Black


Every weekend it is ritual for me to stay with the politics by watching CNN. My parents are very conservative so the living room television was tuned to FOX News instead. I heard they were discussing global warming so I was immediately interested. This issue has resonated itself with me since I first heard about it.

The anchors were having a heated debate about whether or not the goverment should actually spend money towards the fight to preserve what we have left of the world we are living in. I was appalled that only one anchor thought it was "okay" to do so. They believed that all of our funding should go towards making nuclear weapons to fight Korea and other potential terrorists. I'm a dedicated member of my school's Greens Club so needless to say I found this shocking. The comments those anchors made were similar to "Why fix a problem that doesn't even exist?" or "We should be funding the war we are in and potential wars we will engage in". I know these were intelligent people, but I was sickened by how naive they are. How can you ignore an obvious problem that we can see proof of everyday. There are actually people in America (the most gluttonous country of all) who believe that the pollutants we emit into the atmosphere wont come back to haunt us. Killing people should be our main priority, not keeping our race from over-staying its welcome. Yuck.

No comments: